Targeted Advertising on Facebook
In today's competitive marketplace, businesses are always searching for the best way to spend their advertising dollars. The rise of social media outlets, particularly Facebook, has given marketers a new and effective tool to advertise their business at a great ROI (Return on Investment).
How do you create an effective ad campaign on Facebook? There are five main steps that need to be taken when advertising on social media in order to be successful.
- Engaging: Your advertisement must catch the viewer's eye. When in the newsfeed of a Facebook page, you have a matter of seconds to grab your viewer's attention. By focusing on engaging visuals, you increase your chances of someone stopping to see what it is that you are promoting.
- Branding: The second element to a successful social media advertisement is branding. A viewer must be able to quickly and easily identify who and what you are. If they can't do that, they will lose interest and you will have lost a shot at adding a new customer.
- Rewarding: In order to keep the viewer's attention, an ad must provide either an informational reward or an emotional one, which means the viewer needs to be able to take something with them from the ad. This can either be new information or something that hits them emotionally - be it funny or touching, an ad that makes a connection will last.
- Clarity: Ambiguity in traditional advertising can be effective; however, on social media, there are too many other options vying for the viewer's attention. You must be clear with your message, or the viewer will move on to a message that they understand.
- Call to Action: This is probably the most important element in social media advertising. If an ad lacks a call to action, you risk a customer forgetting about you when it comes time for them to need your service. However, when you force them into action with a clear message and timeline, they are more likely to act immediately or retain the information, which in turn increases your ad's effectiveness by driving the customer to you by a need that your call to action created.
Advertisements created with the right elements and promoted on the right social media channels can provide some of the highest ROIs that a business can earn. Facebook's flexible options for promoting an ad make it especially beneficial for a business to spend a portion of their advertising budget on targeting users in their market area.
Author: Nic Green
Position: Director of Social Media
Nic Green is the Director of Social Media at Business Promotion. He spent the early parts of his career involved in sales and marketing until luck introduced him to the world of graphic design. After attending Idaho State University for graphic design, he took his unique combination of marketing skills and the design talents he had developed out into the world to assist businesses in getting the most out of their advertising budget. At Business Promotion, Nic takes special pride in helping our clients stand out from the masses on social media with his combination of unique design and marketing knowledge.